Sts Cyril And Methodius Church
This Baroque church is situated at the corner of the streets Na Zderaze and Resslova. Initially, it was consecrated to St Charles Borromeus, and was built together with the adjacent house for emeritus priests in 1730-1739 by the architects Kilián Ignác Dienzenhofer and Pavel Ignác Bayer. After deconsecration in 1783 both of the buildings were used for several different purposes. About 150 years later (1934-35) the church was handed over to the Orthodox Church and consecrated to Sts Cyril and Methodius. The interior of the Sts Cyril and Methodius church is richly decorated with frescoes made by Karel Schopf. The stucco adornments date back to 1739 and represent the work of Michal Ignác Palliardi.
Sts Cyril and Methodius Church in Prague became very well-known especially after the WWII when it served as the hiding place of seven Czech paratroopers from the Western resistence movement (Kubiš, Gabčík and others) after the assassination of the Nazi Reichsprotektor of Bohemia and Moravia, Reinhard Heydrich. Sent from England on several missions, two of them, Jan Kubiš and Jozef Gabčík, attempted to assasinate Heydrich in Prague-Liben on 27th May 1942. He died several days later of blood poisoning from his injuries. Just a few hours before, the parachutists were supposed to change their hiding place, but on 18th June 1942, they were betrayed and attacked in the church by the Gestapo and SS. After three hours of fighting the parachutists used their last bullets on each other to prevent being captured. On the wall of the crypt near a window, where you can still see the bullet holes, and memorial plaque with the names and portraits of the heroes can also be found here.The crypt has been converted into the National Memorial Of The Heroes of the Heydrich Terror. It house a permanent exhibtion and a sacred site dedicated to the Heroes.