February 26, 2021 charlesbridgehostel0

Karlova street

Karlova street was formerly known as the Jesuits street. Since 1848, it has been named in honor of our outstanding ruler Charles IV. This street has always formed a part of the Royal Route and it connects the Old Town Square with the Old Town Bridge Tower. Many original Gothic and Renaissance houses can be found here, such as the Colloredo-Mansfeld Palace, House At the Blue Pike, At the Golden Snake, At the French Crown, the Schönfeld Palace. Nowadays many of them are used as shops.


The Golden Snake House

A very famous property, the Golden Snake house, probably housed the first café in the history of Prague. The delicious drink, which had been quite unknown till that time, coffee, was served here as early as 1714.


The Blue Pike House

Another interesting house in Karlova street is the Blue Pike house. In this house the first permanent Prague cinema was opened. It was established and owned by Dismas Šlambor, who was later known as Viktor Ponrepo. The first silent film played here on 15th September 1907.

Colloredo-Mansfeld Palace

In Karlova street you can also find the interesting Colloredo-Mansfeld Palace with its specific arcades and galleries dating back to 1735. The frontage of this building is decorated with sculptures made by Matyas Bernard Braun. The remains of the former Romanesque house have been preserved in the basement. The inner courtyard is adorned with a beautiful fountain with a Triton.

The Golden Well House

The last house which you simply musn’t miss is the Golden Well House. It also attracts attention because of its beautiful stucco decoration from the beginning of the 18th century. It was attributed to the sculptor Jan Oldřich Mayer. The top of the house frontage is decorated with the prone figure of St Rosalie, surrounded by roses. Also noteworthy are the statues of two Czech saints St Wenceslas and St Jan Nepomucký and the two Jesuit saints, the founder of the Society of Jesuit Order, St Ignatius of Loyola and St Francisco Xavier, as well as St. Sebastian and St. Roch.


Charles Bridge Hostel is only 5 minutes from this famous street, book one of our cosy rooms!

February 26, 2021 charlesbridgehostel0

The Narrowest  Street in Prague

Prague‘s narrowest street at a mere 50cm is located in the Lesser town. This tiny street is so narrow, that it had to be equipped with traffic lights for the people not to collide. Probably two dogs could walk along side-by-side, but they would have to be very small dogs indeed. If you are square-shouldered or have a ‚fuller figure‘, you should definitely avoid entering the street, otherwise, you might run the risk of getting stuck there. The narrowest street is steep, full of stairs and doesn’t even have a name. It leads from “U Luzickeho seminare” street to the Certovka restaurant, which offers spectacular views of the Charles Bridge. If you are tempted to walk along the passage, please use the traffic lights, otherwise you may end up with an encounter with someone coming for the other direction that’s a little closer than you would like!


Don’t get stuck!

“One time, an extremely large German tourist got stuck”, the owner of the Certovka Restaurant remembers. “She couldn’t move up nor down the passage. The restaurant staff tried to push her back to the street, but without success. Finally, we had to soap her, so she would slide more easily. Needless to say that she decided to go somewhere else for lunch.”, the owner of the restaurant told us.


The narrowest street in Prague is only 5 minutes walk from our hostel! Book one of our lovely rooms.

February 26, 2021 charlesbridgehostel0

Old Town Bridge Tower

This high-gothic tower from the workshop of the distinguished master builder Petr Parléř is one of the most beautiful examples of gothic architecture in Europe. The foundations of the sandstone tower were laid at the same time as the foundations of the Charles Bridge. And its construction was completed in 1380. Old Town Bridge Tower was conceived as a defence tower, but also gained a high aesthetic value with unique sculptural decorations, and is part of the Royal Route. The western side of the Old Town Bridge Tower was heavily damaged by the Swedish bombardement at the end of the Thirty Years War.


Statues of the Old Town Bridge Tower

The tower’s eastern side is dominated by a unique portrait statue of Emperor Charles IV and King Wenceslas IV, with St. Vitus watching over them. The level above is adorned with the statues of St. Sigismund, the patron saint of Luxembourg, and St. Adalbert, the patron saint of Bohemia. At the foot of the saints, there is a statue of a lion, which looks down from the Old Town Bridge Tower. A symbolic optical phenomenon occurs every St. Vitus’ Day (15 June) when the shadow of the head of the lion falls on an escutcheon depicting an eagle below it. This symbolically affirms the link between Bohemia and Moravia. Other statues have been similarly placed, having decorations with astrological meaning lost in time. The first floor was once used a guardhouse, while the second floor served as a jail for debtors from wealthy families. Another feature worth mentioning is the mysterious statue of the so-called Tower Man from the middle of the 15th century, which stands on a column at the end of the stairway.


Charles Bridge Hostel is at the other side of the Charles Bridge, book from wide selection of rooms and apartments!

February 20, 2021 charlesbridgehostel0

Lesser Town Bridge Towers

On the Lesser Town riverbank the Charles bridge ends with two towers dating back to different  times. The smaller one of them was erected in the Romanesque style. It formed a part of the Judith Bridge which was Prague’s first stone bridge built in the second half of the 12th century, but the tower’s  origin dates back to the second quarter of the 12th century. The first references to the tower date back to 1249. The construction of the higher tower dates back to the the second half of the 15th century during the  reign of the King George of Poděbrady. Its appearance was inspired by the Old Town Bridge Tower on the opposite riverbank. Both towers are connected by a gate which was built here in 1411 on the site of the former gate, which was possibly Romanesque. From the beginning of the 15th century, the smaller tower, the so-called Judith Tower, was used as a jail and it retained this role for another two hundred years.


The Customs Office

The customs office was situated in the tower from 1591 to 1784. The entrance to the tower is accessible from the passageway of building no. 56, which served as the seat of headquarters of the Prague Bridge Authority and the imperial Salt Authority. In the same year in which the customhouse was established, the tower was also altered in a Renaissance style.



An important set of engravings from the middle of the 13th century have been preserved in the tower’s vaults. These reliefs depict human figures, animals and weapons, an eight-pointed star and several noble coats of arms. The higher of the towers represents the youngest part of the entire Charles Bridge. It was primarily used as a storehouse and, because of its spatial layout, it also served as a watchtower – similar to the belfry of the St. Nicholas Cathedral on the Old Town Square.


Charles Bridge Hostel is just next to the Lesser Town Bridge Towers, stay with us!

February 20, 2021 charlesbridgehostel0

Nerudova street and Jan Neruda

The historical Nerudova street connects Prague Castle and Charles Bridge. At the end of the 19th century it was named Nerudova in honor of the Czech writer and journalist Jan Neruda who lived in the house At Two Suns, (no. 47) in the upper part of the street between 1849 and 1857. He wrote many short stories about this district in Prague and its local inhabitants.


House Signs

In this street you will find many restaurants, souvenir shops and embassies. The most remarkable aspects of this street are the house signs. In the house At the Golden Lion, (no. 32) you will find the exhibition of historical pharmacies which belongs to the national museum. You will find out about the Culture of Pharmaceutical Work and Pharmacies in Bohemia and Moravia from the Renaissance period up to the 19th century. The houses in Prague did not bear street numbers until the late 18th century. The street numbering was established by Maria Theresa in 1770. Until that time houses were recognized by a charming, yet confusing, system of allegorical symbols. Nerudova street in Malá Strana district has the highest concentration of house signs in the historic city.


To mention some of the most famous:

No. 47 in Nerudova street is the House at the Two Sun. This house was the birthplace of the  important and admired poet and author Jan Neruda, after whom the Nerudova street is named.

No. 49 The White Swan – Originally many of the house signs had a alchemical significance, although today much of their meaning has been lost. The White Swan is one of these, and it probably originated as a golden goose .

No. 27 The Golden Key – Castle goldsmiths, such as the ones who worked at this house in the 17th century, paid fees to the city, unlike their colleagues who lived in the castle’s Golden Lane. As such, they were entitled to advertise their wares, as preserved today in this building’s façade.

The house At the Three Fiddles, (no. 12) reminds us of the history of this house – it used to host three families who made their living by making violins. They were so successful that they exported their products abroad. It’s said that during the full moon you can still hear mysterious violin music.

The house At the Red Lion, (no. 41) can be recognized by a red lion holding a golden cup in his fore paw. The house used to be the home of Petr Brandl, the famous Czech Baroque painter, whose works can be seen in the Church of St Margaret in Prague-Brevnov as well as in the Church of St James.


Nerudova street is just 5 minutes walk from of our hostel, book from wide selection of rooms and apartments!

February 20, 2021 charlesbridgehostel0

Tyn church

The church of our Lady before the Tyn is one of the most pre-eminent symbols of Prague Gothic style. As well as many other monuments in Prague, this church has a long and eventful history. The Church is separated from the Old Town Square by a row of houses. That indicates it belongs not to the square or the former marketplace, but to the complex of Tyn  situated behind.


Construction of the Tyn church

The Romanesque church was mentioned in medieval sources as early as in the 12th century. Originally, the Tyn church was presumably a hospital chapel and only later obtaining an additional parish function. Its present appearance is the result of several alterations. The most significant reconstruction was performed in the 14th century, during the reign of King Charles IV – with the participation of Petr Parler‘s Royal Building Works. The construction of the church was not completed until the mid-15th century, during the rule of the last Czech King, Jiri z Podebrad. In 1679 the church was severely damaged by fire and in the course of the following reconstruction, the gothic dome of the main nave was modified in the Baroque style. However parts of the original Gothic structure have been kept.


Hussite Period

The church of our Lady before the Tyn represented a national symbol and the main Prague sanctuary during the Hussite period. From the year 1424 it served as a place of work of the Hussite archbishop, Jan Rokycana who was later buried here.


What can you see?

The interesting features are those two twin towers. If you look at them carrefully, you find out that they are not identical. In fact, one of them is more solid and it is said that it represents the stronger side of the family, the man. The interior of the Church is actually one of the most richly decorated in Prague. The main altar painting is the work of Karel Skreta, one of the most famous of all Czech Baroque painters. The altar bears artwork depicting The Assumption of the Virgin Mary and The Holy Trinity. Noteworthy is the Gothic stone baldachin of Matej Rejsek dating back to 1493. Moreover you should not miss out one of the most famous Czech Renaissance wood-carvings. It is the work of Josef  Hellich, known for his portrait of Bozena Nemcova, presently exhibited in the National Gallery. It is said that he used this portrait of the famous Czech writer as a model for some of his paintings depicting the Virgin Mary. The Church of our Lady before Tyn represents an unmissable and remarkable monument, especially after dark, when its mighty towers seem to dominate the entire panorama of old Prague.


Charles Bridge Hostel is only 15 minutes walk from this amazing church, book from wide selection of our rooms and apartments!

February 18, 2021 charlesbridgehostel0

The Infant Jesus of Prague

Although there isn’t a definitve history of the Infant Jesus statue,  there ae some historical sources that describe a small 48 cm high sculpture of the Holy Child with a bird in his right hand carved in around the year 1340. But there are many other Infant Jesus sculptures carved by famous masters throughout Europe in the Middle Ages. Our statue of the Infant Jesus is stored in the church of Our Lady of Victory in the Lesser Town. The statue of the Infant Jesus is 47 cm high and it was made out of wood with the surface modeled in colored wax. It represents a small child dressed in a long robe under which his bare feet can be seen. The right hand of the Infant Jesus is raised in blessing and his little left hand holds a sphere surmounted by a cross – the whole of our universe rests in his hands. His royal insignia expresses the faith in the divinity of Jesus.


Origin of the Infant Jesus of Prague

According to historical sources the Infant Jesus of Prague originally came from Spain. According to legend the Infant Jesus appeared miraculously in front of one monk, who modeled a statue based on the appearance of the apparition. But there is also another legend which describes the statue belonging to St. Teresa of Avila, the founder of the Discalced Carmelites, who was known for her great love for the Infant Jesus. She is said to have given the statue to a friend of hers, whose daughter travelling to Prague.


Miraculous Statue

It is said that people who have prayed to God in front of the statue have had their prayers answered in miraculous and unusual ways. Many people come here to pray for help, healing, or peace; some of them come in trust expecting the birth of a child, and many of them return to give thanks. The Infant Jesus statue is famous worldwide. For example in the 19th century the fame of this miraculous statue became widespread throughout Spanish speaking countries of South America, in Italy, as well as distant Asian countries whose inhabitants give thanks to the Infant Jesus for miracles. In some monasteries they used a special liturgical prayer dedicated to the Infant Jesus of Prague.


Infant Jesus of Prague Nowadays

Nowadays thousands of pilgrims pay homage to the Infant Jesus of Prague each year. In 1995 a ceremonial procession of the Infant Jesus took place in the streets of Prague with Cardinal Sin of Manila from Philippines and Cardinal Vlk of Prague leading the procession. This ceremony was the closing highlight of the annual Feast in honor of the Infant Jesus of Prague.


The Infant of Prague is just 5 minutes walk from of our hostel, book from wide selection of rooms and apartments!

February 18, 2021 charlesbridgehostel0

History of the Astronomical Clock

According to the latest research, the astronomical clock was built in 1410 by the royal clockmaker Mikulas of Kadan in collaboration with Master Jan Ondrejuv, called Sindel, professor of mathematics and astronomy in Prague‘s Charles University. The astrolabe mechanisms they constructed over 600 years ago are still working. 80 years after initial construction, the legendary master Hanush rebuilt the clock. And, as the legend goes, the Councillors had him blinded so that he would not be able to build another instrument greater than the Prague Astronomical Clock. The story also goes that before he died, master Hanush deliberately damaged the clock so seriously, that nobody could ever fix it again. He also cursed the instrument, so those whoever tried to repair it  either went mad or died. The Old Town Hall with its Astronomical Clock suffered a lot at the end of the Second World War. On the last day of the war, the historical center of  Prague was the main target of Nazi bombardment. The whole complex of the Old Town Hall completely burnt down. Fortunately, everything was able to be reconstructed and the figures of the apostles were replaced by the works of the woodcarver Vojtech Sucharda soon after.


Astronomical Clock

The figures of the 12 apostles, blessing the city at every hour were added in more recent times, during the major repair works carried out in the years 1865-1866. As well as the figures of the 12 apostles, there are also eight immobile figures on the sides of the astronomical dial and the calendar dial. Four figures on the sides of the astronomical dial are supposed to be the symbols of the Prague medieval society. On the left side you can see the allegory of the Vanity admiring itself in a mirror and the Miserly Jew holding his bag of gold. On the right side there is the skeleton as the symbol of Death ringing his bell and the the figure of Turk (or The Piper) shaking its head in disapproval. Below the astronomical dial you can see the Calendar dial, painted by Josef Manes in 1805. Actually, the one you see is a replica, the original has been safely kept on the sides of the stairway of the Prague Museum of History. Getting back to our figures, on the sides of the Calendar you will see, from left to right, a chronicler, an angel, an astronomer and a philosopher. The Clock Tower is decorated with exquisite coats of arms and different royal symbols. There is also a rooster that crows after the Apostles have finished their blessing. The Sphere or the astronomical dial shows most important astronomical events: movement of the sun. Notice that the sun circles around the Earth and not the other way around. The position of the Luna cycle, the seasons, the days and the zodiac are also depicted.

Old Town Hall

The history of the Old Town Hall began in 1338, when King John of Luxembourg granted Prague’s Old Town the right to establish its own administrative centre. The gothic house of the wealthy merchant Wolflin of Kamen was bought as the Town Halls foundation. Other parts of the complex were added as new buildings were purchased and modified. After the mid-14th century the construction of the 70 metrer high tower was completed. Later the astronomical clock was added and a statue of the Madonna was placed on the corner in the 1380’s, thereby consecrating the town hall’s oriel chapel. The Old Town Hall has always been associated with the most significant events in the history of our country. It was here where George of Poděbrady was elected to the throne of Bohemia in 1458.  After the Battle of White Mountain, the leading participants of the anti-Habsburg uprising were imprisoned here. Twenty seven of these were subsequently executed on 21 June 1621 in front of the Old Town Hall. When the four districts of Prague merged in 1784, the Old Town Hall became the main seat of the unified official administration of the city. At that time, the building underwent many alterations. Weddings have been held in the Old Town Hall since 1871. At the end of the Second World War, the Town Hall was the focal point of an insurrection, and the Czech National Committee directed operations from its basement. On 7 May 1945, the Old Town Hall was bombarded by tank fire. In the course of the following conflagration, the eastern and northern wings of the building, opposite Týn Church, were completely destroyed. The tower with the Astrological Clock and a chapel were also heavily damaged. Nowadays, the Old Town Hall houses an exhibition dedicated to King Charles IV.


Council Hall

The most important room in the Old Town Hall is the so-called Council Hall constructed during the second half of the 15th century, where all the important proceedings were held. The joist ceiling, with its rich renaissance decoration of the lacunars from the second half of the 16th century and gilded chains, is authentic. The late-gothic console with an angel, which bears the inscription Juste Iudicate Filii Hominis, or Judge fairly, sons of man, is complemented by a high-gothic sculpture of the suffering of Christ from 1410. The town symbols above the portals and 46 guild coats of arms and 12 municipal coats of arms on the wooden panelling of the walls originated in the 15th and the 16th centuries. The interior is adorned with the baroque tiled stove.


Jiřík Hall and Brožík Hall

The so-called Jiřík Hall and Brožík Hall on the second floor are definitely worthy of attention. The Jiřík Hall acquired its name in honor of King George (Jíří in Czech) of Poděbrady whose bust can be found here. On the wall, there is the 1902 painting by Karel Liebscher depicting the View of Petřín Hill. The Brožík Hall owes its present appearance in 1910 to the designs of architect Josef Chochol and it is used as a conference room. It covers the entire ground plan of the building and the height of two floors.  It was named after the outstanding painter Václav Brožík famous for two monumental paintings depicting the Election of George of Poděbrady as the King of Bohemia, and Jan Hus in front of the Constance Council.


Charles Bridge Hostel is only 15 minutes walk from the Astronomical Clock, stay with us!


February 18, 2021 charlesbridgehostel0

St Vitus Cathedral

The history of St Vitus cathedral reaches back to the 10 th century when the first Romanesque
rotunda was built. After 1060 the rotunda was converted into a considerably larger basilica with
three ailes and two choirs. However the origin of the present-day cathedral dates back to 1344
when the foundation stone was laid. It was in the presence of King John (the Blind) of Luxembourg,
Charles IV, his brother John Henry and the first archbishop of Prague, Arnost of Pardubice.

But why was the cathedral built in the first place?

Well, in 14 th century the Prague bishopric was elevated to the archbishopric. The first architect who
started the construction of the Cathedral was Matthias of Arras. Unfortunately he died prior to the
completion of his masterpiece. Initially, the eastern chancel, used for a celebration, was built. Eight
chapels were situated in the horseshoe shaped chorus. In the south of the cathedral we find the Chapel
of the Holy Cross. The second achitect who’s task was to finish the cathedral was Petr Parler. He came
to Prague at the age of 23 years, and, unusual for the time he used a tracery vault inside the cathedral.
Petr Parler completed the lower chapel and constructed the high choir with a net vault and its complicated
supporting system. Although it is known as a ‚ribbed vault of Parler's type‘, in fact it‘s a wagon
vault, cut for windows and beautiful ornamentation.

St Wenceslas chapel

St Vitus Cathedral was designed as a three aisled cathedral with a transept and triforium and of course
nineteen fabulous chapels. The most famous one is St. Wenceslas chapel which is built on the
site of the southern apse of the Wenceslas rotunda in which the prince was buried. The chapel was
built between 1362 and 1367 to house the relics of the saint. The lower part of the walls is decorated
with 1345 semi-precious stones of Bohemian origin. There are also beautiful paintings on the theme
the Passion of Christ. Above the St Wenceslas chapel, we find a Crown Chamber situated where
the coronation jewels of Bohemian Kings are stored. The upper part is covered with 31 scenes depicting
the life of St Wenceslas and represent the work of the Master of the Litoměřice Altarpiece between
1506 and 1509. In the middle of the wall there is a Gothic statue of St Wenceslas which was made by Jindrich
Parler,who was the Peter's nephew, in 1373. Unfortunately the Chapel is not accessible to the public
you could see its interior only from the doorways. A forged door with seven locks which is located
in the south-western corner of the chapel, leads to the Crown Chamber containing the Bohemian
Coronation Jewels.


After Parler’s death

For five years after Parler's death nobody worked on the cathedral until 1399, when the construction
of the steeple was continued by his sons. The Hussite revolutionary movement prevented any further
construction of the cathedral for a number of years. After the great fire of 1541, the whole Prague castle
complex had to be re-constructed. After that it was re-opened. Baroque parts of the cathedral were
introduced in 1770. On the southern facade of the cathedral you will find a beautiful mosaic in the theme
of The Last Judgement, which is very unusual for this region.


18. and 19. Century of St. Vitus Cathedral

The western facade is dominated by 82-metre high towers from 19 th and 20 th century, by
Josef Mocker. The work was finalised by Kamil Hilbert because of Mocker's untimely death in
1899. St Vitus Cathedral was consecrated in 1929 on the occasion of the millenium anniversary of St.
Wenceslas‘ murder. With the exception of the coronation jewels, the cathedral houses the
mausoleum of Bohemian kings and gallery of sculptures and portaits. We should point out that
many famous names participated in the construction and the artistic decoration of the St Vitus
Cathedral – Frantisek Kysela, Max Svabinsky, Alfons Mucha, Karel Svolinsky, Otakar Spaniel, etc.


Legends of St. Vitus Cathedral

There are also many legends associated with St Vitus Cathedral. Unlike most Czech castles, Prague
castle is not known to be haunted as such, although there are stories about a ‚white spirit; which
supposedly had the ability to predict the future.
Another legend states that if Zikmund‘s Bell is damaged, then the disaster will follow. This legend
actually came true when Zikmund's bell broke, huge floods came in 2002.
But te most famous legend is associated with the coronation Jewels. The story goes that if anybody
unworthy or wearing the crown does so, they will be dead within a year and a day. This was the
case of Rheinhard Heydrich, Reichsprotektor of Bohemia and Moravia during World War 2, who
reputedly put the crown on his head. Two days later he was assassinated.


Petr Parler

Petr Parler was a German architect who was famous for being the builder of Saint Vitus Cathedral
and Charles Bridge in Prague. His father, Heinrich Parler was a master builder. Heinrich moved to
Schwäbisch Gmünd from Cologne where he supervised the reconstruction works of the Holy Cross
parish church. All members of the large Parler family worked in construction works all over the
Europe at some time. Petr Parler became the master mason of St Vitus Cathedral in 1352 after the
death of its original architect Matthias of Arras . As well as the cathedral he was the main architect
of the New Town of Prague and Charles Bridge and its towers. In the famous Royal Palace of Prague
Castle Parler, he built the All Saints' Chapel. After the fire in 1541 it was reconstructed in the
Baroque style. He was apparently the architect of the Church of Our Lady which was built in the
market square of Nuremberg. It replaced the synagogue torn down in the pogrom of 1349 which
was followed with the plague. Between 1360-78 Parler built the beautiful chancel of the St.
Bartholomew church in Kolín . He died in Prague in 1399 and he was buried in the St. Vitus cathedral.


If you want to sleep few minutes from the Prague Castle, book one of our cosy private double rooms!

November 7, 2020 charlesbridgehostel0

Before the Charles Bridge

The first wooden bridge has been documented as early as in the 10th century. This wooden
bridge was destroyed by the big floods. The first stone bridge was built very quickly sometime
between 1158 and 1172 on the order of King Vladislav I. It was named in honor of his consort Judith.
Judith´s Bridge was damaged by the great flood in 1342.

Charles Bridge

In 14th century Charles IV decided to replace the ruins with a stronger bridge. That happened between 1357 and 1402.
Charles Bridge represents the oldest Prague Gothic bridge connecting the Old Town and the
Lesser Town. Initially it was simply known as the Stone Bridge or Prague Bridge. The bridge
has actually been known as“Charles Bridge” since 1870. It is 516 metres long and about 10 meters wide,
and was built of sandstone blocks under the supervision of the architect Petr Parléř. The bridge is
decorated with 30 sculptures and groups of statues.

Towers of the bridge

On both ends of the bridge there are the bridge towers – the Old Town Bridge
Tower and the Lesser Town Bridge Tower. All of them offer beautiful views of the Vltava
river, the Prague Castle complex and other bridges.

Public transport over the bridge

Public transport was used across the Charles Bridge for a long time. In 1883 there was a horse
tram which was replaced in 1905 by an electric tram until 1908 and was later also replaced by
buses. Since 1965 Charles Bridge has been used purely by pedestrians.

Jan Nepomucky

Charles Bridge serves as an extraordinary gallery in the open air – displaying its rich
sculptural decoration. The oldest sculpture was dedicated to St. Jan Nepomucký (John of
Nepomuk). It represents the work of the well known Baroque sculptor Jan Brokoff. It is 2.5
metres high. It was designed after the wooden model which is stored in the church of St. John
of Nepomuk on the Rock. The final sculpture was made from bronze in Nuremberg. Jan
Nepomucký used to be a favoured saint of poor people. The story goes that he refused to tell
the confessional secrets of Queen Žofie to her husband King Wenceslas IV which led to him
being tortured to death. The main attributes of the Jan Nepomucky sculpture include five stars
above his head, surplice, cross and a palm of torture. According to legend stars appeared on
the water surface above his head after he had been thrown from the bridge into the river. Stars
are the sign of the Latin word „tacet“, which means keep silent. On the bridge rail you can
find a five star cross marking the place from where Jan Nepomucky was thrown to his watery

Legend about the construction

We should also mention the legend about the construction of Charles Bridge. Charles IV
endeavoured to build this bridge as strong as possible so it’s said that raw eggs, curd and wine
were mixed into the mortar. Some of the surrounding towns were thought to have
misunderstood the order of the ruler, and sent hard boiled eggs as well as cheese.


Charles Bridge is literally only few steps from our hostel. If you want to stay with us, you can book it here.